Hawthorne (Passaic County)
Once inhabited by the Lenni-Lenape Indians, also known as the Delaware, Hawthorne was settled in the 1700s by Dutch immigrants who were to become the borough's pioneer farmers. This settlement was first part of Manchester Township, a region that was later separated into Hawthorne, Haledon, North Haledon, Prospect Park, Totowa and most of the First Ward of Paterson. The municipality was incorporated by an act of the New Jersey Legislature on March 24, 1898. Hawthorne is one of 16 municipalities within Passaic County, New Jersey. Hawthorne is home to approximately 18,000 residents who enjoy easy accessibility to mass transit from our local train and bus routes to New York City and motor vehicle access to Routes 208, 287, 4, 17, 20, 80 and the Garden State Parkway. Since 1990, the Borough of Hawthorne has operated under a Mayor – Council form of government, as authorized by the State of New Jersey's Faulkner Act with a charter approved by the local voters. Under this form of government, similar in concept to our federal government, the Mayor and the Council are two separate but co-equal power centers. The Mayor serves as Chief Executive of the Borough, responsible for supervising the operations of government and seeing that the laws are enforced, while the Borough Council serves as the Borough's legislative body, passing local ordinances and resolutions. The Hawthorne Public Schools are dedicated to the mission of providing quality educational opportunities to all students in the K-12 school district that serves the town.. St. Anthony's Catholic Elementary School (K-8) and the Hawthorne Christian Academy (K-12) serve those seeking a faith based education. The Louis Bay 2nd Library provides a variety of cultural, historical, entertainment and technological services to the community. Hawthorne is served by the Hawthorne Post Office, located at 226 Diamond Bridge Avenue.