Little Falls (Passaic County)
Little Falls is named for the Passaic River waterfall that formerly spilled downstream from the dam in front of the Beattie Mill. Little Falls can trace its heritage back to 1711. Its 2.8 square miles, now home to a population of about 11,000, are bounded by the communities of Montclair, Wayne, Cedar Grove, Woodland Park, Totowa, North Caldwell, Fairfield and Clifton. Primarily residential, Little Falls has managed to retain the feel of a small town despite its strategic location in the tri-state metropolitan area. New York is only 15 miles away; Newark Liberty Airport is just 12 miles away. For many residents, local shopping, schools, and a variety of services are within walking distance. For most of its history, a Township Committee consisting of five committeemen elected by the voters governed Little Falls. A chairman (Mayor) and deputy-chair (Deputy Mayor) were selected annually by the Township Committee members. Starting January 1, 2005, the form of government was changed as the result of a public referendum. The current government is a Mayor/Council form authorized by the New Jersey Faulkner Act. Under the new government, the voters directly elect a Mayor to a four-year term. The Mayor is responsible for the administration of the Township. The Township Council members, who are elected to four-year staggered terms, perform the legislative duties of the Township. Little Falls has matured gracefully and today offers long term residents and newcomers alike the quality of life that makes suburban New Jersey a desirable address for home, career and recreation.
Stats & Facts
- According to the United States 2010 Census, the population of Little Falls was 14,855.
- There are 4,687 households and 2,873 families.
- The amount of land area in Little Falls is 7.126 sq. kilometers.
- The amount of surface water is 0.197 sq kilometers.
- The distance from Little Falls to Washington DC is 205 miles.
- The distance to Trenton, the New Jersey state capital is 53 miles (as the proverbial crow flies).
- Little Falls is positioned at 40.87° North (latitude) and 74.21° West (longitude).